SOFDI is always on the outlook for partnerships and collaborations to disseminate new technologies developed by research institutions.
Because we are independent from donors and because we are a small and dynamic organization, we can make immediate decisions in order to introduce new and/or improved crops, and to acquire and spread new knowledge and technologies to the people who need them most – subsistence farmers. A win-win situation for research institutes, SOFDI and the farmers.
We are presently working with around 2500 model farmers, all of whom have been trained by us and are organized into coherent farmers groups. The groups are well structured and in close contact with our volunteer lead farmers. We also work with 28 schools, comprised of about 15,000 children, and further have a strong presence in the area we work in through the protection of over 700 springs. All these figures are increasing as we are constantly growing.
We also make our groups available for field trials.
Some of the key collaborators and partners
- Kenya Agricultural and Livestock Research Organization (KALRO)
- International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
- Agriculture Sector Development Support Programme (ASDSP)
- International Centre for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT)
- International Potatoe Centre (CIP)
- World Vegetable Center, Arusha
- Kenya Industrial Research Institute (KIRDI)
- Intern. Maize and Wheat Improvement Centre (CYMMIT)
- Participatory Approaches for Integrated Development (PAFID)
- National Museum of Kenya
- Jomo Kenyatta University
- MIMEA International Ltd.
- Bukura Agriculture Institute
- Manor House Agricultural Center
- SoilCares (Wageningen University, Holland)
- CARE International
- Green Zone Limited
- Malnutrition Matters
- Meru Goat Breeder Assiciation
- Kenya Water for Health Organization (KWAHO)
- National Environment Management Authority of Kenya (NEMA)
- Kenya Forestry Research Institute (KEFRI)
- Kenya Forest Service
- Ministry of Agriculture,Livestock and Fisheries and Cooperatives
- Ministry of Health
- Ministry of Education
- Ministry of Culture and Social Services
- Ministry of Water Irrigation
- Ministry of Industry, Trade and Cooperatives
- Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources
- Ministry of Labour and Social Security Service